We all have our staple recipes and this is truly one of mine!
We often have several over ripe bananas leftover following fortnightly coop delivery, and this is my favourite use for them. The blacker they are the sweeter the bread will be! I even forget to add maple syrup or dates sometimes and its still really delicious. And rexture wise, I love how fluffy this Banana bread is while still being gentle on the stomach and low on grains.
We re-heat this for breakfast (in the toaster) several days a week. It makes a great, fast healthy start to the school day and I make this loaf nearly ever single week without fail.
If you don’t have a Themomix, just whip the eggs and mash the bananas in a bowl first, then mix everything together.
My Everyday Healthy & Delicious Banana Bread
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 45-50 min | Makes: 1 loaf
• 130g raw almonds / almond meal
• 140g spelt flour
• 300g over-ripe bananas (3 large or 4 medium bananas)
• 3 organic eggs
• 5 medjool dates or a splash of maple syrup
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice (activates the baking soda)
• 1 tsp cinnamon powder / 1 drop doTERRA Cassia essential oil
PREHEAT your oven to 180 C fan forced.
Add almonds and grind into meal on high 5-10 seconds.
COMBINE remaining ingredients and gently mix on speed 5 for 10-20 seconds until fairly smooth. Don’t over mix the batter (spelt doesnt like that), blend it just enough to ensure it is smooth and not overly lumpy.
SPOON batter into the tin and (optionally) decorate with sliced bananas, sultanas or choc chips.
BAKE for 45 min until ready. Delicious warm!!
SLICE thickly and freeze / refrigerate. To serve for breakfast simply warm it up in your toaster then top with home-made nut butter, or some butter and honey. Delicious!!
• 1/4 cup of sultanas or goji berries (for a fruity twist)
• 1/4 cup dark chocolate nibs (for melted chocolate goodness)
• 40g raw cacao powder (for a chocolatey loaf) and 5 drops doTERRA Wild Orange oil