Essential oils – have you heard people talking about them
and wondered; whats all the fuss???
To be brutally honest, I was unsure what all the fuss was about essential oils for quite some time!!
As a natural health advocate and avid researcher of all things ‘healthy’ I eventually got educated I suddenly began to understand why essential oils are attracting the attention of so many people.
You see once I realised that essential oils have potent therapeutic benefits (and are more than just nice smelly things), they became an obvious addition to my already ‘chemical free’ home. But I also discovered not all oils are the same, and that choosing to use essential oils means learning about
- how they are sourced
- if they are chemical free, pure and potent
- and of course how to do use them safely
Why go natural?
The thing I have loved so much about integrating essential oils into our home, was finding that we can soothe muscle discomforts, head tentions and tummy upsets and more naturally. Having tried many natural solutions over my life, it is refreshing to find some that REALLY WORK and are also a fraction of the cost of most other solutions.
We now also have essential oil remedies and daily routines to assist us with getting a better nights sleep, immune boosting, mood support and focus during the day, along with assistance for our general wellbeing – all available whenever we need it.
So when my husband – who can be quite sceptical – started reaching for oils as a daily solution that was when I honestly knew they really do work!!
dōTERRA means “Gift of the Earth” – and this rapidly growing company are doing truly amazing things in terms of empowering people to be proactive with their own health.
The essential oils industry is not well regulated, which means people can claim all kinds of things but have no proof to back it up. So some of the key reasons (which I will elaborate on) that I choose doTERRA include:
- Purity and potency – these oils are organic, chemical free and very potent
- Sourcing – how the oils are grown and extracted affects their healing powers and therapeutic properties
- Sustainability – integrity and not over harvesting is important so we can respect and work with our planet
Purity & potency
As a professional, I am cautious to put my name behind a company, but now that I have I am amazed to see how many other people have done the same. I choose to use dōTERRA oils as they are the PUREST ON THE PLANET and are above both organic and food grade standards.
That means there are no fillers, no preservatives, no additives, no chemicals. Just 100% pure plant extract – extracted in the gentlest way possible. doTERRA’s quality assurance methods are the highest I’ve found, and they also use 3rd party independent testing to ensure that the oils are totally pure and potent. Every batch is meticulously tested and many are rejected if standards are not met.
The sourcing model
One big reason I chose doTERRA is because their sourcing model blew my mind and tugged at my heart. “Co-impact sourcing” means that doTERRAs essential oils are not just changing the lives of us in our homes, but they also work with many Indigenous communities worldwide to grow, cultivate and harvest plants where they naturally thrive.
This means the plants used are not just the purest , they are also the most potent available anywhere because they are harvested at the peak of their potency, in their endemic habitat (eg..Vetiver from Haiti, Lavender from France, Tea Tree from Australia etc).
And finally, this model of sourcing means the communities where the plants are grown are supported and their lives are enhanced by every bottle of oil we purchase.
An example of this is in Haiti where Vetiver oil is sourced; these people were walking three hours a day to access water that was not even safe for drinking. You can learn more about sourcing of Vetiver oil and how doTERRA turned on a fresh water supply for them here – truly a life changing gift for so many families.
And that is only the beginning! With doTERRA every oil is meticulously sourced and tested, and every essential oil has its own unique story, as do the communities that the plants and oils are sourced from.
What can you use essential oils for?
The thing that really changed my philosophy around essential oils, was beginning to understand that they are not just nice smells.
Once we understand the vast array of healing properties essential oils can support us with, and how easily and quickly they are absorbed and welcomed into the body, the question is not what can you do with them, but what can’t you!?
Essential oils can used in three key ways;
- aromatically (in a diffuser)
- topically (diluted and applied on the skin),
- internally (used in foods / cooking to enhance flavours eg, choc mint bliss balls!) But don’t try this with any other essential oils though – many are marked as do not ingest as they are not pure enough to do so.
My family uses essential oils to as part of our daily life. Just a few of the ways we use them include:
- diffusing into the air in home, office and bedrooms at night
- making natural health and immune boosting remedies for topical application – these can be to support the family with illness prevention, soothing discomforts, or to alleviate minor health issues
- as a natural alternative to chemical free cleaning
- using them as part of my daily emotional self-care routine
- for mood support; to calm or soothe a restless child, create uplifting moods in the house, build focus or energy during work hours
- in foods ; I love to enhance flavours in my bliss balls, cakes, smoothies and more
- creating blends for my clients to use to support their emotional change