Just a short share today with some of my favourite sleep blend combos because all parents need a good nights sleep!
Firstly though, it is important to mention that as a trained therapist, it is crucial to create good habits around sleep (aka sleep hygiene). This means things like
- not eating after 7pm at night and dont eat in bed!
- no caffeine or stimulants 2 hours before bed (try a herbal tea or golden turmeric milk instead)
- reduce screen time before bed (the blue light affects our melatonin and sleep sensors). You can also get blue light filters on phones, tablets and PCs these days to help with this
- no screens in the bedroom! Your room should be dark and technology free to help your body get into rhythm with day / night. Keep laptops, phones, tablets and TVs out of the bedroom so its a sleep sanctuary at all times.
- Have a relaxing smell to trigger your sleep routine (as per diffuser blends above)
- Sometimes a warm shower can help right before bed
Ok so lets discuss essential oils that can assist your healthy sleep habits!
Great essential oils for sleep
- Roman chamomile
- Lavender peace (restful blend)
- Peace (reassuring blend)
- Balance (grounding blend)
My favourite sleep combos are as follows
- 2 drops Lavender Peace, 2 drops of vetiver
- 2 drops of Lavender, 2 drops of vetiver
- 2 drops of Vetiver, 1 drop roman chamomile, 1 drop of lavender
- 2 drops of Lavender, 2 drops of cedarwood
- 2 drops Lavender Peace, 2 drops Copaiba
- 2 drops Balance, 2 drops Copaiba
SLEEPY SPRAY BLEND
- In a 30 ml spray bottle add – 5 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of vetiver oil, 1-2 drops of roman chamomile. Top up with fractionated coconut oil. Apply to the bottoms of your feet, massage into the big toe and wipe any excess on the back of your neck once in bed. Be sure to cup your hands an inhale the smell fully!
- Apply the Peace roller to temples, wrists and back of neck at bedtime. Inhale and welcome the land of inner peace.
If you don’t have all of these oils, just get a bottle of Vetiver and apply 1 drop neat to the base of the feet and the big toe. Rub in gently and wipe any excess oil on your wrists or back of the neck
About the author
Bree Taylor Molyneaux is a Brisbane based women’s self-care coach specialising in support for fertility, pregnancy + birth, motherhood + beyond. She is trained a HypnoBirthing® practitioner, clinical hypnotherapist and personal renewal facilitator with a passion for helping women bring more self-care into daily life.
Bree runs weekend retreats, offers a range of self-care classes + essential oil workshops and is available for private coaching. She also has a range of and hypnosis downloads available on iTunes. You can read more about Bree here.